We look forward to seeing you at the next KIDS OCEAN DAY Adopt-A-Beach Clean-Up May 23, 2019!
Download Flyer and FAQ
Thousands of elementary school children will be brought together for the 26th KIDS OCEAN DAY Adopt-A-Beach Clean-Up. After the clean-up, students have lunch and gather together to form human art. Helicopters will fly-by to take a photo of the massive art installation for environmental advocacy.
DATE: Thursday, May 23, 2019
TIME: 7:30 am – 2:00 pm
LOCATION: Dockweiler State Beach, Vista Del Mar, Imperial Hwy Entrance, Playa Del Rey, CA 90293
(The end of Imperial Highway between Playa del Rey & Manhattan Beach)
- Set up base camp tents, tables, chairs and sign-in desks.
- Set up parking, traffic and bike path signs.
- Unload supplies.
- Manage traffic pattern of cars and buses.
- Recycling/Water/Bathroom Center.
- Parking buses.
- Meet students as they arrive.
- Guide, mentor and lead kids through the clean-up and lunch.
- Help the kids form the AERIAL ART on the sand.
- Help kids with recycling and trash removal.
- Clean up and break down facilities.
- Put all the supplies back onto trucks.
- Unload supplies at off-site storage.
All volunteers are also needed to record and document KIDS OCEAN DAY with a cell phone in hand.
ADDITIONAL VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY
DATE: Wednesday, May 22, 2019
TIME: 2:00 pm – 6:00 pm
Aerial Art set-up @ Dockweiler State Beach & Load in supplies at KOD Headquarters.
Thank you in advance for your generous heart and enthusiastic spirit!
Q: What is KIDS OCEAN DAY?
A: KIDS OCEAN DAY Adopt-A-Beach Clean-Up is an event that brings thousands of students to the beach for a clean-up and aerial art. The event’s goal is to allow students to interact with the environment to truly learn the importance of preserving it. Assemblies precede the event and teach the students about marine animals, the importance of keeping our ocean and beaches clean and what they can do to help.
Q: How will I know what to do on the day of the event?
A: A training session will be held on the day of the event, Thursday May 23, 2019 to familiarize volunteers with the location and activities for KIDS OCEAN DAY. Sign-in and coffee and bagels begins @ 7:30 AM. Training session begins at 8:00 AM sharp.
Q: What should I bring on the day of the event?
A: Bring a water bottle, sunscreen, layered clothing. Lunch will be provided at the end of the event.
Q: What will volunteers be expected to do on the day of the event?
A: Volunteers will have different jobs including:
- Aerial Art set up on the beach.
- Registration – Greet and register volunteers, media, VIP contacts, and others as they arrive.
- Traffic Control & Parking – Greet and direct the many buses to the correct parking lot.
- Greet the children, teachers and chaperones as they get off their buses. Make sure their bus is well marked and the bus driver is clear on his instructions.
- Partner up with a bus of children and their teachers.
- Walk with them to the beach, through their clean-up.
- Direct them to restrooms, trash and recycling areas & water stations.
- Manage waste management stations.
- Keep them on schedule and in their assigned clean-up area.
- Talk with them about their feelings about trash on the beach, what they’ve learned in their classrooms and how they will continue to make a difference.
- At 11:00 am lead them to a traffic cone on the beach to have lunch.
- Assist them with forming their aerial art at NOON.
- Break down of event.
- As the day goes on there will be other needs that arise – a team effort and a willingness to help out in any way will be necessary.
- Without your help this program would not be possible – thank you for your generous heart and enthusiastic spirit